Dad Joke card using Creative Stamping (various issues!)

Hi!

I am in the unlucky situation that my husband's birthday falls the same week as Father's Day most years (it's his birthday as I am writing this!), so I spend most of June on 'man' cards. My two daughters also spend the month wondering what 'daddy likes' to make a card on the theme of, and we invariably come up with cricket, music and cycling! There's no bought cards in our house unless he buys them for me! (I will pop a bonus picture at the end to show what my daughters made for Father's Day last week.)

He's become partial to a 'dad' joke now my eldest is nearly a teenager, if for no other reason than to embarrass her I am sure!! So I thought that I would make him a card based around his likes and 'dad joke' style puns!

I trawled through my stash of Creative Stamping magazine for stamps to fit the bill and came up with plenty to choose from, so here's the finished card to start with:


Music, cricket and cycling all in one card!
First I stamped all the images I wanted to colour in black Memento ink which doesn't bleed with alcohol based markers.

Stamping all the images on one sheet before colouring and cutting.
Then I stamped the sentiments in black Versamark ink as I find this gives the best solid colour for words. I stamped the wickets in a brown ink, but I coloured over them later after die cutting them out.

Colouring with Promarkers.
Next I coloured with Promarkers, sticking to just a couple of colours (blue and red) with some grey and the blender to add a little shadow and darker tones in places. As I was putting a lot on the card I thought it would be better to keep the colour palette quite simple so it didn't get too busy.

I added a cricket bat and ball as I decided the joke would work better with more than just a wicket, and realised I hadn't added the 'have' and 'day' around my third sentiment!

I hand cut (fussy cut) all the elements out, using a trimmer to cut out the sentiments to make them rectangles.
I realised I had the matching dies for the Joanna Sheen Cricket stamps, which I have had for a few years and used before on my husband's cards, so I cut out the wicket using it, and coloured it with a TrimCraft Graphic marker as I couldn't find my ProMarker in the right shade of brown (I think my eldest daughter may have something to do with that!)

I cut an Altenew 'Watercolor Stripes' Cover Die in thin black card for the back drop to all my elements. These cover dies tend to be in US A2 size, which is not quite the same size as UK A6, but does fit nicely on to 5"x 7" cards. I trimmed a strip off the long side of my card blank to give the same border all the way around the cover die.

Finished card!
I stuck some elements down flat and some on foam pads and hand drew a line around the sentiments to make them stand out a little more.

Here's my supplies, which shows which stamp sets the various stamps are from, I will list issue numbers at the end in my supply list.

Today's supplies

I was really pleased with the result as I often struggle with 'man' cards!

As usual, I am not paid by anyone to make this blog and all of the products I used I have purchased myself :)

Lesley x

Supplies

Creative Stamping Magazine
'A Good Sport' from issue 56 - bike, cricket images, wheely and wicket sentiments
'We love Music' from issue 31 - record, tape and music note images
'Winter Warmers' from issue 50 - only the chill out sentiment

Tsukineko Versafine onyx black ink and Memento tuxedo black ink.

Altenew Watercolor Stripe Cover die

Joanna Sheen Cricket die - I only used the wicket.

ProMarkers in denim blue, berry red, storm cloud, blender

Trimcraft First Edition Graphic Marker in coffee

White stamping card, thin black card, black fine-line pen and a 5" x 7" card blank.


Bonus Photos!


My daughter's cards - the suit was a copy of the outfit my husband had spent the previous weekend buying (dragging girls with him!) to wear for Ascot with work! She even made the collar 3D.

Special mention for this card - loving the sunset for Orbital at BBC One Big Weekend! Yes we are partial to a bit of Orbital in our house!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Window Pop Up Cards

Gorjuss Girl 3D Decoupage

Stamps By Me different Colouring Techniques and 8 cards!